Xintiandi in Shanghai
Shanghai new world is an urban tourist attraction with Shanghai's historical and cultural features and a fusion of China and the West. shanghai new world is based on the old Shikumen building area, a symbol of modern Shanghai architecture.
English Name: Xintiandi in Shanghai
Type: Shanghai Scenic Area, Shanghai famous spots & Shanghai attractions
Best Time: All Year Around
Recommended Visiting Hours: 2-3 hours
Why is Xintiandi so Special?
For the first time, Shikumen’s original residential function was changed and its commercial operation function was innovatively endowed. This old house, which reflects Shanghai’s history and culture, was transformed into a fashion, leisure, cultural and entertainment center with catering, shopping, performing arts and other functions. Walking through Xintiandi is like going back in time, like being in Shanghai in the 1920s and 1930s. However, stepping into each building is very modern and fashionable, experiencing the unique concept of Xintiandi first-hand. This organic combination and well-organized and ingenious arrangement have formed a symphony of Shanghai yesterday, tomorrow and today, allowing tourists at home and abroad to taste unique culture.
Where is Xintiandi?
Xintiandi is located in the center of Shanghai, south of Huaihai Middle Road. It is a fashionable pedestrian street composed of old Shikumen residential buildings and modern buildings. It retains the antique walls, tiles and appearance of the old Shanghai Shikumen residence, while reflecting a completely modern world inside it.
Main Attraction of Xintiandi
Admiring Shikumen Residences
Xintiandi is divided into two parts: south and north. The southern district is mainly composed of modern buildings, while the northern district retains the old architectural style of Shikumen. The typical Shikumen residence in old Shanghai seems to tell people a beautiful story of the city’s history and culture. They first appeared in the middle of the 19th century and are the result of the combination of Chinese and western architectural styles. They usually have an arched stone door frame and a wooden door carved in Chinese style. Through narrow alleys, you can see all kinds of good photography environments.
Shopping in Modern Plazas
Xintiandi South District has Xintiandi-style shopping center with all the conveniences such as escalators, central air conditioning and broadband network. Its boutiques keep pace with international fashion. This glass wall building has a very modern atmosphere. Outside, shops selling food, clothes, handicrafts, handbags and accessories can be seen everywhere.
Eating in Upscale Restaurants
There are high-end restaurants offering delicious food from France, Brazil, the United States, Japan, Germany, Italy and other countries, fully demonstrating Xintiandi’s international standards. Famous stars open restaurants here, which is a good place for fans to meet idols. In addition, the charming hotels and wine cellar restaurants in French restaurants, the inspiring rock music played in japanese pop restaurants and the folk performances in South America in Brazilian restaurants have left a deep impression.
Enjoying Night Life at Bars
Xintiandi is one of Shanghai’s bar clusters, especially popular with young people and foreign tourists. The romantic outdoor bar with European decoration style gives you the opportunity to immerse yourself in noisy music, pleasant atmosphere and brilliant lights.
Best Time to Travel Xintiandi
The best travel time is spring and autumn, usually March-may and September-November.
Catkin, peach blossom and flying warbler are most suitable for outing in the suburbs in spring. Peach Blossoms in Nanhui, Cherry Blossoms in Gu Village Park and Tulips in Shanghai’s Fresh Flower Port are in full bloom. They are the best time to enjoy flowers. Autumn with red leaves all over the sky is the best time to taste hairy crabs. The so-called “autumn wind is ringing and crab legs itch”. At this time, hairy crabs have yellow legs, thick crab fat and beautiful crab meat, which make people drool.
How to Get There
- Take Metro Line 10/ Line 13 to Xintiandi Station. Get out from Exit 6 to Madang Road, then walk a bit to the north.
- Take Metro Line 1 and get off at South Huangpi Rd. Station. Get out from Exit 3 and walk southwards along South Huangpi Road.
- Take City Sightseeing Bus Line 1 to Yida Huizhi Xintiandi.
- Take bus 146 or 805 to Madang Rd, Xingye Rd.
Useful Travel Tips
- The rainy season is from mid-June to early July, with continuous rain. From the end of August to the first half of September is the typhoon season, often with sudden storms, these two periods of travel to Shanghai must take umbrellas.
- The entertainment life in Shanghai is quite rich. The modern facilities and natural scenery in major theme parks and parks make people feel relieved and happy. Shanghai, as the birthplace of Chinese movies and the host of one of the world’s nine major film festivals, has many cinemas with state-of-the-art audio and video equipment, which can experience incomparable viewing effects. If you are a fan and fan, then in Shanghai, a series of world-class art venues and theatres will definitely make you feel full of happiness.
- You can buy a wide range of Shanghai specialties, snacks and handicrafts in Shanghai, such as spiced beans and pear paste candy from the Old City God Temple, which are generally available in local specialty stores and supermarkets.
- The Bund
- Yu Garden
- Jin Mao Tower
- Longhua Temple
- Shanghai Disney Park
- Tianzifang in Shanghai
- The China Art Museum
- The Shanghai Museum
- The Jade Buddha Temple
- Nanjing Road in Shanghai
- People’s Square in Shanghai
- The Oriental Pearl TV Tower
- Shanghai Natural History Museum
- Shanghai Science and Technology Museum
- Huangpu River Night Cruise in Shanghai
Recommended Shanghai Tour Packages
- 1 Day Shanghai Group Tour with Zhujiajiao Ancient Town and Huangpu River Cruise
- 3 Days Shanghai Highlights Tour
- 4 Days Shanghai City Tour
- 6 Days Beijing Shanghai Tour
- 10 Days Beijing-Xian-Shanghai-Mount Huangshan Small Group Tour
- 11 Days Beijing Xian Guilin Shanghai Tour