The Bund in Shanghai
Standing on the Bund are 52 classical revival buildings with different styles. Known as the Bund World Architecture Expo, the Bund is one of the important historical sites and representative buildings in modern China and one of the landmarks of Shanghai. In November 1996, the State Council listed it as the fourth batch of national key cultural relics protection units.
English Name: The Bund in Shanghai
Type: Shanghai Scenic Area, Shanghai famous spots & Shanghai attractions
Best Time: All Year Around
Recommended Visiting Hours: 2-3 hours
Why is The Bund so Special?
Here, Shanghai’s charm as a prosperous city with a history of 100 years and a prosperous future is fully displayed, and the Bund Shanghai has become an indispensable scenic spot. Pudong Lujiazui, which is opposite to the Bund across the river, has landmark buildings in Shanghai, such as Oriental Pearl, Jinmao Tower, Shanghai Center Tower and Shanghai Global Financial Center. It has become a symbol of China’s reform and opening up and a microcosm of Shanghai’s modernization.
Where is The Bund?
Located on the bank of Huangpu River in Huangpu District of Shanghai, that is, Outer Huangpu Beach, is a historical and cultural district of China. Since 1844 (the 24th year of Daoguang in Qing Dynasty), the Bund area has been designated as a British concession, which has become a true portrayal of Shanghai’s ten-mile foreign market and the starting point of the old Shanghai concession area and the entire modern city of Shanghai.
Main Attraction of The Bund
Watch locals taking morning exercise
Locals usually begin their day of exercise on the Bund. Here you can see them walking, jogging, practicing tai chi or flying kites. Getting up early and joining them is a pleasant thing to blend into the real life style of the local people.
Stroll along the waterfront avenue
The most classic route to explore the Bund is to stroll from the northern end to the south or vice versa. Along the way, you will see the most famous and attractive landscape of the Bund, namely 26 colonial buildings with different western architectural styles, which makes the Bund in Shanghai, China “the International Architecture Museum”.
Appreciate high rises across the Huangpu River
Looking across the Huangpu River, you can see the dense high-rise buildings in Pudong New Area, represented by the Oriental Pearl Tower, the World Financial Center, the Jinmao Tower and the Shanghai Tower. They are the four tallest skyscrapers in Shanghai. They occupy the horizon and form a good photographic background.
Watch the sunset on Waibaidu Bridge
Waibaidu Bridge is always a romantic place for lovers. As the shooting place for many TV plays and movies, it has special attraction for those who have the old Shanghai complex. When the sun goes down, the bridge is covered with golden light, creating a romantic atmosphere. This moment’s snapshot can record lovers’ fond memories.
Take a Huangpu River cruise at night
At night, when buildings on both sides of Huangpu River are brightly lit, the Bund shows its most magical side. The magnificent night view of the Bund on the Huangpu River cruise boat is worth appreciating. The dazzling lights fully display the magnificence of various buildings, and together with the colorful lights floating in the river and the flashing lights on the other side of the river constitute the best night scene in Shanghai.
Best Time to Travel The Bund
The best travel time is spring and autumn, usually March-may and September-November.
Catkin, peach blossom and flying warbler are most suitable for outing in the suburbs in spring. Peach Blossoms in Nanhui, Cherry Blossoms in Gu Village Park and Tulips in Shanghai’s Fresh Flower Port are in full bloom. They are the best time to enjoy flowers. Autumn with red leaves all over the sky is the best time to taste hairy crabs. The so-called “autumn wind is ringing and crab legs itch”. At this time, hairy crabs have yellow legs, thick crab fat and beautiful crab meat, which make people drool.
How to Get There
- By Metro
Take Line 2 or Line 10 to East Nanjing Road Station. Then walk along East Nanjing Road for about 10 minutes.
- By Bus
1. Take City Sightseeing Bus Line 1, 3 or 5 to Waitan Haiguan Dalou.
2. Take bus 33, 55, 65, 123, 135, 145, 305, 317, 576, or 934 to Zhongshan Dongyilu Hankoulu.
3. Take bus 37, 307, or 330 to Zhongshan Dongyilu Nanjing Donglu.
Useful Travel Tips
The best locations for taking a panoramic Bund view are the promenade, the Monument to the People’s Heroes in Huangpu Park, Waibaidu Bridge, and the Oriental Pearl Tower.
There is an eco-friendly mobile charging system with solar photovoltaic power generation at the photography point of the scenic area. It can provide the power of the computer for photographers to print the photos, as well as mobile phone emergency charging service for visitors.
- The rainy season is from mid-June to early July, with continuous rain. From the end of August to the first half of September is the typhoon season, often with sudden storms, these two periods of travel to Shanghai must take umbrellas.
- The entertainment life in Shanghai is quite rich. The modern facilities and natural scenery in major theme parks and parks make people feel relieved and happy. Shanghai, as the birthplace of Chinese movies and the host of one of the world’s nine major film festivals, has many cinemas with state-of-the-art audio and video equipment, which can experience incomparable viewing effects. If you are a fan and fan, then in Shanghai, a series of world-class art venues and theatres will definitely make you feel full of happiness.
- You can buy a wide range of Shanghai specialties, snacks and handicrafts in Shanghai, such as spiced beans and pear paste candy from the Old City God Temple, which are generally available in local specialty stores and supermarkets.
- The Bund
- Yu Garden
- Jin Mao Tower
- Longhua Temple
- Shanghai Disney Park
- Tianzifang in Shanghai
- The China Art Museum
- The Shanghai Museum
- The Jade Buddha Temple
- Nanjing Road in Shanghai
- People’s Square in Shanghai
- The Oriental Pearl TV Tower
- Shanghai Natural History Museum
- Shanghai Science and Technology Museum
- Huangpu River Night Cruise in Shanghai
Recommended Shanghai Tour Packages
- 1 Day Shanghai Group Tour with Zhujiajiao Ancient Town and Huangpu River Cruise
- 3 Days Shanghai Highlights Tour
- 4 Days Shanghai City Tour
- 6 Days Beijing Shanghai Tour
- 10 Days Beijing-Xian-Shanghai-Mount Huangshan Small Group Tour
- 11 Days Beijing Xian Guilin Shanghai Tour