Located in the Beijing Zoo, the Beijing Aquarium is home to thousands of marine animals and is a great place to take children to learn marine knowledge. When you visit the Beijing Aquarium, you can see a variety of marine animals in different shapes and sizes, as well as wonderful performances by animals such as dolphins and sea lions.
English Name: Beijing Aquarium
Chinese name: 北京水族馆
Admission Fee: 100 yuan
Opening Hours: 9:00-17:30 (Apr. to Oct.); 10:00-16:30 (Nov. to next Mar.)
Recommended Visiting Time: 1 day
Address: 18 Gaoliangqiaoxie Street, Haidian District, Beijing, China
Aquarium in Beijing
The stellar Beijing Aquarium is a worthwhile diversion in the northeastern corner of the Beijing Zoo. On view is an imaginative Amazon rainforest (complete with piranha), coral reefs, a shark aquarium (where you can dive with the flesh eaters), and a marine mammal pavilion. The last hosts lively aquatic animal displays.
This aquarium is home to thousands of fish, turtles and more, including an unforgettable Amazonian Arapaima, and features daily seal and dolphin shows.
Main Scenic Spots
- Seabed Tour – You will be able to have an exploration tour to the underwater world by walking along a subsea tunnel.
- Whale and Dolphin Bay – It is a place to watch dolphins and sea lions. Dolphins and sea lions live and are trained here.
- Marine Theater – it is one largest of Marine Theater in China, with more than 3,000 seats in the theatre. There are wonderful dolphin and sea lion shows every day.
- Rainforest Wonders – this area is built in a simulated environment of the Amazon River basin’s tropical rain forest. Main animals on exhibition here cover redtail catfishes, arapaima, Balantiocheilos melanopterus, gars, archerfish, angelfish, Piranha, Piranhas, etc..
- Styled Beach – visitors can touch and feel different marine life here.
- Bailing Town – This area is quite small. The main highlight of it is two white whales. From the large panoramic windows, you can see the lovely white whales in water. If you are lucky enough, you may see the feeder feed the whales in water.
- Chinese Sturgeon Aquarium – You are able to get close look of Chinese Sturgeons through the world’s longest acrylic overall exhibition window. Chinese Sturgeons is a kind of unique fish specie in China, being born in Yangtze and growing in the sea. Known as “water giant panda”, it is a kind of key protected animal at the national level.
How to Get There
It is quite convenient to get to the aquarium by public transport in Beijing downtown. You may take Subway Line 4 to Beijing Zoo Station, then get there by walking. Or you may take Public Bus Route 16, 26, 103, 105 to Beijing Jiaotong University Station, and then get there by walking.
Useful Travel Tips
- Address: 137 Xiwai Dajie, Xizhimen, Haidian District;
- Entry Ticket: 100 yuan (including entrance into the Beijing Zoo), free for kids under 1.2 meters;
- Opening Hours: Summer (April 1 – October 31) 9:00-17:30, admission stopped at 17:00; Winter (November 1 – March 31) 10:00-16:30, admission stopped at 16:00
- Transportation: Take Bus No. 4 and take off at the Qianmen Stop, and then take 104, 205 or 106 to get there directly;
More Attractions in Beijing
- Badaling Great Wall, Beijing
- Forbidden City in Beijing
- Ming Tombs in Beijing
- Olympic Park in Beijing
- Temple of Heaven in Beijing
- Tiananmen Square in Beijing
- Memorial Hall of Chairman Mao in Beijing
- Eastern Qing Tombs in Beijing
- Soong Ching Ling Former Residence in Beijing
- Imperial Waterway Cruise in Beijing
- Longquan Monastery in Beijing
- Hugongsi Hutong Snack Street in Beijing