Nanluo Guxiang in Beijing
Nanluo Guxiang have become a popular tourist destination with restaurants, bars, live music houses, coffee shops, fast food and souvenir shops, as well as some old siheyuan associated with famous historic and literary figures. The alley remains more complete than other historical heritage sites in Beijing, witnessing the vicissitudes of many dynasties.
English Name: Nanluo Guxiang
Chinese name: 南锣鼓巷
Admission Fee: Free
Opening Hours: All day
Address: Dongcheng District, Beijing, China
Why is Nanluo Guxiang So Special?
The alley is lined with a variety of structures that typify the ancient architecture of the Yuan Dynasty. There are literally dozens of small shops next to galleries and family-run restaurants ranging from the very traditional to the ultra-modern. The area’s hutongs have become a popular tourist destination with restaurants, bars, live music houses, coffee shops, fast food and souvenir shops, as well as some old siheyuan associated with famous historic and literary figures.
Where is Nanluo Guxiang?
Nanluo Guxiang is located in the Dongcheng district. Nanluoguxiang is a narrow alley, the alley itself is approximately 800m long, running from East Gulou Street in the north to Di’anmen East Street in the south. That gives its name to an old part of the Beijing city centre, that has traditional architecture both new and old. The neighborhood contains many typical narrow streets known as hutong.
History of Nanluo Guxiang
The Nanluoguxiang was built in the same period that the capital of the Yuan Dynasty, Dadu, was built, so it is about 800 years old. The sixteen side hutongs were built in the Yuan Dynasty too. Because of its layout, people also call it the Centipede Lane. It was once named Humpback Lane in the Ming Dynasty and renamed to Gong and Drum Lane in the Qing Dynasty.
How to Get to Nanluo Guxiang?
Travel with China Dragon Tours (top recommended)
If you want to get rid of hustle of transportation and troublesome navigation, you can book a private tour package which covers visiting, dining and transfer from us. Our local tour guide and driver will escort you to Nanluo Guxiang speed and convenience, and take care of all the details. You just need to focus on travel.
1. Take Bus 3, 13, 42, 60, 118, or 612 to Tongluoxiang.
2. Take Bus 701, and get off at Di’anmen Dong.
3. Take Bus 104, 108, 113, or 612 to Bei Bingmasi.
Take Subway Line 6/ Line 8 directly to Nanluogu Xiang.
Useful Travel Tips
Mr. Shi’s Dumplings – 74 Baochao Hutong. People love this place due to the amazing dumplings they produce.
Li Qun Roast Duck Restaurant – 11 Beixiangfeng Hutong. As the name suggests, they specialize in duck!
There are hundreds of variety of souvenir boutique shops along Nanluoguxiang Hutong, selling traditional handicrafts and souvenirs, Chinese-inspired gifts, T-shirts, shawls, etc. Nanluoguxiang is an alley of amazement and happiness.
1. Beijing Downtown Backpackers Accomodation
2. Duge Boutique Hotel
3. Mandarin Oriental Wangfujing
Recommended Beijing Tour Packages
- 5 Days Beijing Adoption Heritage Tour
- 7 Days Beijing Golf and Sightseeing Tour
- 1 Day Beijing Aoyuan Golf Club and Summer Palace Tour
- 8 Days Beijing-Xian-Shanghai Tour by Speed Train
- 1 Day Beijing Country Golf Club Tour with Huanghuacheng Great Wall
- 7 Days Beijing and Zhangjiakou 2022 Beijing Winter Olympic Tour
- 6 Days Beijing and Zhangjiakou 2022 Beijing Winter Olympic Tour
- 1 Day Tianjin Tour by Bullet Train from Beijing
More Attractions in Beijing
- Badaling Great Wall, Beijing
- Forbidden City in Beijing
- Ming Tombs in Beijing
- Olympic Park in Beijing
- Temple of Heaven in Beijing
- Tiananmen Square in Beijing
- Memorial Hall of Chairman Mao in Beijing
- Eastern Qing Tombs in Beijing
- Soong Ching Ling Former Residence in Beijing
- Imperial Waterway Cruise in Beijing
- Longquan Monastery in Beijing
- Hugongsi Hutong Snack Street in Beijing