Lugou Qiao (Marco Polo Bridge) in Beijing
Lugou Qiao (Marco Polo Bridge) Facts
The Lugou Bridge, also known as the Marco Polo Bridge, is a famous stone bridge located 15 km southwest of the Beijing city center across the Yongding River. Situated at the eastern end of the bridge is the Wanping Fortress, a historic 17th century fortress.
Chinese Name: 卢沟桥
Address: Located 15 km southwest of Beijing city center in the Fengtai District
Best Seasons: All year round
Recommended Visiting Hours: about 2-3 hours
Why is Lugou Qiao so Special?
Marco Polo Bridge, also known as the Lugou Bridge, is reputed for countless finely carved lions on the railings on both sides. It was described by the famous Italian traveler Marco Polo as a stunning bridge in his book, hence the name. This historic structure that crosses the Yongding River is situated 9 miles (15km) southwest of Tiananmen, the center of Beijing.
Where is Lugou Qiao?
Located 15 km southwest of Tiananmen Square, over the Youngding River, the Lugou Bridge (Marco Polo Bridge, the bridge was so named and known to the west owing to the description of the famous Italian explorer Marco Polo) is the oldest existing multi-arched stone bridge in the Beijing area. Construction of the original bridge on this site commenced in 1189 and ended in 1192 and was later reconstructed in 1698.
History of Lugou Qiao
Construction of the original bridge on this site commenced in 1189, the final year of Emperor Shizong of Jin’s reign and was completed under his successor in 1192. Following damage from the flooding Yongding, the bridge was reconstructed under the Kangxi Emperor of the Qing dynasty in 1698. The Marco Polo Bridge is well-known because it was highly praised by the Venetian traveler Marco Polo during his visit to China in the 13th century (leading the bridge to become known in Europe simply as the Marco Polo Bridge), and for the 20th century Marco Polo Bridge Incident, which marked the beginning of the Second Sino-Japanese War (1937–1945).
Following the Communist takeover of China in 1949, the bridge was decked in asphalt and carried motor vehicular traffic. To alleviate traffic on the bridge, the New Marco Polo Bridge located about 1 km to the south was completed in 1971. Later, due to the cultural and historical significance of the old bridge, it was decided that the old bridge be preserved, and another new bridge was to be built to take over the vehicular traffic.
Main Attractions of Lugou Qiao
Recommended Beijing Tour
- 5 Days Beijing Adoption Heritage Tour
- 7 Days Beijing Golf and Sightseeing Tour
- 1 Day Beijing Aoyuan Golf Club and Summer Palace Tour
- 8 Days Beijing-Xian-Shanghai Tour by Speed Train
- 1 Day Beijing Country Golf Club Tour with Huanghuacheng Great Wall
- 7 Days Beijing and Zhangjiakou 2022 Beijing Winter Olympic Tour
- 6 Days Beijing and Zhangjiakou 2022 Beijing Winter Olympic Tour
- 1 Day Tianjin Tour by Bullet Train from Beijing
How to Get to Lugou Qiao
Travel with ChinaDragonTours (top recommended)
If you want to get out of the traffic and hassle of navigation, you can book a private tour package that includes visiting, dining and transfer from us. Our local guide and driver will escort you to Lugou Qiao in Beijing in the fastest and most convenient way and take care of all the details. You just have to focus on the visiting.
- By Bus:
1. Take bus 309, 329, 339, 458, 459, 624, 661, 662 or 952 and get off at Lugou Xinqiao Station.
2. Take bus 77, 96, 97, 133, 310, 313, 452, 843, 896, 983, or Fast Transit Line 45, 97, 145, or Special Line 17 and get off at Kangzhan Diaosuyuan (Sculpture Garden) Station.
- By Subway:
Take Subway Line 14 and get off at Dawayao Station. Get out from Exit D. Then take bus 339 at Xidaokou Bei Station and get off at Lugou Xinqiao Station.
Useful Travel Tips
- Nearby Attractions
Wanping City Wall (Admission fee: CNY 3)
Sculpture Garden (free of charge and open during 08:00 – 17:00, closed on Monday)
Lugou Bridge History Museum
- Recommended Itinerary
Beijing One Day Tour: Sino-Japanese War Sculpture Garden – Wanping City – Marco Polo Bridge
Admission Fee CNY 20 Opening Hours April – October: 07:00 to 20:00
November – March: 07:00 to 18:00
Recommended Attractions in Beijing
- Badaling Great Wall, Beijing
- Forbidden City in Beijing
- Ming Tombs in Beijing
- Olympic Park in Beijing
- Temple of Heaven in Beijing
- Tiananmen Square in Beijing
- Memorial Hall of Chairman Mao in Beijing
- Eastern Qing Tombs in Beijing
- Soong Ching Ling Former Residence in Beijing
- Imperial Waterway Cruise in Beijing
- Longquan Monastery in Beijing
- Hugongsi Hutong Snack Street in Beijing