Emeishan City is a county-level city under the jurisdiction of Sichuan Province, located in the southwest edge of Sichuan Basin, bordered by the West Sichuan Plain in the northeast and Liangshan Mountain in the southwest. It is a transition...
Chinese Name: 峨眉山市
English IPA: /'ə 'meɪ 'ʃʌn/
Location: southwest edge of Sichuan Basin
Population (city): 433,700
Language: Mandarin & Sichuan Dialect
Zip code: 614200
Tel code: 0833
Time zone: (UTC+8)
Emeishan City is a county-level city under the jurisdiction of Sichuan Province, located in the southwest edge of Sichuan Basin, bordered by the West Sichuan Plain in the northeast and Liangshan Mountain in the southwest. It is a transition zone from basin to mountain. For thousands of years, the three cultures of Confucianism, Buddhism and Taoism collided, merged and evolved here, forming the Emei Mountain culture with Buddhism, martial arts and tea. Buddhist culture and Emei martial arts are well-known at home and abroad. As of 2012, there were 2 national key cultural relics protection units and 1 national intangible cultural heritage. Emeishan, named after Mount Emei, is an ancient city with a history of more than 1400 years and a profound cultural heritage. Mount Emei is one of the world’s natural and cultural heritage, a national 5A level scenic spot and one of the four famous Buddhist mountains in China. It is known as the “fairy mountain Buddhism country ” and “Geological Museum”.
Highlights of Emeishan
- Buddhist Culture: Mount Emei is one of the most influential Buddhist sites in China. It is a holy mountain with a long Buddhist tradition and history. There are more than 30 temples from the foot of Emei Mountain to the top of the mountain including Baoguo temple, Fuhu temple, Wannian temple, Huazang temple, etc. The most outstanding Buddhist building is the gilded Samantabhadra statue on the 48 meter high Golden Summit.
- Natural Scenery: Emeishan is also famous for its all kinds of natural scenery – rivers, lakes, mountains, wild forests, clouds, flowers. In different seasons, you will encounter different features. Spring is a good time to see azaleas blooming. Autumn is the most beautiful season when the mountains are planted with trees of various colors. Winter is the off-season with fewer tourists, while you can appreciate the amazing snow scenery.
- Hiking & Treking: Hiking is the best way to experience the essence of culture and nature. There is a stone path from the foot of the mountain to the top of the mountain. Usually, there are two classic routes. One is from Qingying pavilion to the top. The other is from Wannian temple to the top. The former route is about 49 km and the latter is about 29 km.
- Hot Spring: Emei Mountain is a good place to enjoy the natural hot spring, which flows out from the place 2000 meters underground. Spring water contains minerals beneficial to human body, such as metaboric acid, metasilicic acid, hydrogen sulfide, strontium, etc. Hot spring resort and hotels are located near Baoguo temple.
Hot Destinations in Emeishan
Other Destinations in Emeishan
Emeishan, named after Mount Emei, is an ancient city with a history of more than 1400 years and a profound cultural heritage. Mount Emei is one of the world’s natural and cultural heritage, a national 5A level scenic spot and one of the four famous Buddhist mountains in China. Emeishan Attractions include a list of top things to do and must-see attractions in Emeishan. All attractions picked by our seasoned travel advisors and rated by our customers. Following is the list [...]
Mount Emei is one of the world’s natural and cultural heritage, a national 5A level scenic spot and one of the four famous Buddhist mountains in China. Emei tour usually starts from Chengdu, and combines the attractions of Leshan Buddha and Emei Mountain. Starting from Chengdu in the morning, drive 2.5 hours to visit Leshan Giant Buddha, and then go to the foot of Emei Mountain for the night. Then take a day or two to visit Mount Emei. If you want, you can use eco [...]
- More City Tours Including Emeishan >>
- More China Provinces Tours Including Emeishan >>
- More Multi-City Tours Including Emeishan >>
- All Tours Including Emeishan >>
Climate & When to Go
Emeishan City has a subtropical humid monsoon climate with a pleasant climate. The annual average temperature is 17.2 ℃, and the annual average rainfall is 1555.3 mm. The land is fertile and the natural resources are very rich. The climate varies significantly with altitude. So it's very common to be hot and intolerable at the foot of mount Emei, while it's cool and pleasant higher up the mountain. Emeishan Weather and Climate describes information with temperature, precipitation, Geography, What Clothes to [...]
More Emeishan Climate & When to Go >>
Emei Mountain is located in the south of Sichuan Province, about 150 kilometers away from the center of Chengdu, and about 120 kilometers away from Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport. Emeishan is a tourist city in Sichuan Province open to the outside world, with complete infrastructure and convenient transportation. Chengdu-Kunming railway runs through the whole area from north to south, with highways extending and distributed in all directions densely. At present, there are only two ways to Mount Emei: railway [...]
More Emeishan Transportation >>
Festivals and Activities
Emeishan has a long history, many places of interest and scenic spots, resulting in a variety of festival and activities, which has become a unique scenic spot in Emeishan. Emeishan Festivals and Activities introduce a brief introduction of festivals and activities and tell travelers Top Things to Do for Emeishan festivals Tours and important Emeishan events and activities such as hiking, pilgrimage, skiing, etc. Festivals in Emeishan Emei Mountain Congregations(朝山会) Time: May of each year, lasting for about 7 days; Location: Temples in the mountain; Main activities: Taking pilgrimage to the [...]
More Emeishan Festivals and Activities >>
Whether you are a backpacker or travel with a local travel agency, you should do some preparations before traveling, such as know something about the useful number, transportation, weather, food, etc. Emeishan Travel FAQs and Tips introduce the city and zip codes, post offices, useful numbers, hospitals, banks for foreign exchange, Government, etc. When plan your trip to Mount Emei, view our answers to questions about Mount Emei travel to get better understanding of Mount Emei. Useful Numbers China International country code [...]
Mount Emei (Leshan) Travel Maps in English includes Maps List of Mount Emei Tourist Attractions, Maps of Mount Emei Hotels, Maps of Mount Emei Tours, Mount Emei Subway Maps, Maps of Transportation. It show the specific location maps of main roads, Transportation, railway, stations, Bus Stations, Airports, expressway, administrative division, famous tourist attractions, travel and tours, universities, banks and hospitals. [...]
As a super famous tourist destination, Emeishan has a variety of hotels for tourists to choose from. There are hotels and guesthouses in the downtown area of Emeishan City, and many farmhouses and hotels from the foot to the top of Mount Emei. The accommodation of Emeishan is mainly divided into three parts: urban area or low mountain area, middle mountain area and high mountain area. Living in urban area or low mountain area is convenient for catering and entertainment. Accommodation in the middle [...]
More Emeishan Accommodation >>