Emei Mountain is located in the south of Sichuan Province, about 150 kilometers away from the center of Chengdu, and about 120 kilometers away from Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport. Emeishan is a tourist city in Sichuan Province open to the outside world, with complete infrastructure and convenient transportation. Chengdu-Kunming railway runs through the whole area from north to south, with highways extending and distributed in all directions densely. At present, there are only two ways to Mount Emei: railway or road. Emeishan Transportation Guide serves you detailed transport information and introduces fights to Emeishan, trains to Emeishan, buses to Emeishan, Emeishan Bus Stations and Railway Stations, taxis and ways of getting in and around Mount Emei.
How to Get to Emei
There is no airport in Emeishan. It's 120 kilometers away from Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport in the north and 40 kilometers away from Leshan airport which is under construction. Leshan airport has started construction in 2017. It is located in Longgeng village, Guanying town, Wutongqiao district, Leshan city, which is expected to be put into use by the end of 2021.
At present, tourists can only take the flight to Chengdu and transfer to Emeishan city by bus or train. Shuangliu Airport has opened domestic and international flights. It's very convenient to get in and out by air. From Shuangliu International Airport to Emei Mountain scenic spot, you can get there in 90 minutes by bus or take the Chengdu-Mianyang-Leshan intercity train to Emeishan station.
See more details about How to Get to Emei Mountain from Chengdu.
Railways in Emeishan
- Chengdu-Kunming Railway
Chengdu-Kunming railway traverses the municipal Jiajiang, Emeishan, Shawan, Ebian and Jinkou rivers. Tourists can get off at the Emei station when you go to mount Emei by train. The station is 10 kilometers away from the gate of mount Emei Scenic Spot (Baoguo Temple) and takes about 15 minutes by bus. Tourists can take train No. K145, K113, K165 or K117 to Emei railway station.
- Chengdu-Mianyang-Leshan Railway
Chengdu-Mianyang-Leshan railway starts at Chengdu East Station, along the Baoji-Chengdu railway getting to Jiangyou Station, and reach Emei Station and Emei Tianxia Mingshan Station. Tourists can get to Emeishan scenic spot by 10-minutes' walking or 5-minutes' bus(Bus No. 5A, 8 or tourism bus). Every day, there are more than 25 high speed trains running between Chengdu and Emeishan. From Sichuan Province, you can also take high-speed train from Xinjin, Pengshan, Meizhou, Leshan and other places.
- Chengdu-Guizhou High-speed Railway
On December 25, 2013, the construction of Chengdu-Guiyang High-speed Railway was officially started. On December 20, 2014, the section from Chengdu East Station to Leshan Station (south section of Chengdu Mianyang Leshan Intercity Railway) was put into operation. On June 15, 2019, the section from Leshan Station to Yibin West Station was put into operation. Emeishan station is the terminal station of Emeishan branch line of Chengdu-Guiyang high speed railway. There are city buses and long-distance buses serving the tourists at Emeishan Station. Yunnan-Guizhou section of Chengdu-Guiyang railway is expected to open to traffic by the end of December 2019. After completion, it will connect Xi'an-Chengdu High-Speed Railway, Guiyang-Guangzhou High-speed Railway, and so on.
There are two railway stations in Emei City, one is the old Emei station, the other is the newly opened Emeishan station in 2014. At present, the most convenient way to go to Emei Mountain is to take high-speed rail from Chengdu (i.e. Chengdu-Mianyang-Leshan intercity train, c-head); from inside Sichuan Province, you can also take high-speed rail from Xinjin, Pengshan, Meizhou, Leshan and other places.
- Emei Station(峨眉火车站)
Address: Shengli Town, Emeishan(峨眉山市胜利镇)
How to get to Emeishan: take No.8 bus to Baoguo temple world famous mountain Paifang station(about 15 minutes); or take a taxi to(about 15 yuan)
Emei station is a necessary station for Chengdu-Kunming railway. It is an old station, about 10km away from Emei Mountain scenic spot. It is suitable for tourists who want to get on the train at Chengdu station or save transportation costs. At present, five ordinary trains with K-head are departing from Chengdu to Emei station every day. The departure time is 6:42-15:57, the journey is 2-3 hours, the hard seat is 23.5 yuan, and the hard sleeper is 77.5 yuan.
- Emeishan Station(峨眉山站)
Address: Xiuhu Avenue, Emeishan, Leshan, Sichuan(四川省乐山市峨眉山市秀湖大道)
How to get to Mt. Emei: 1. You can walk for 10 minutes to the core scenic area of Mt. Emei; 2. Take line a bus No. 5, and you can get to the tourist center of Baoguo temple in 5 minutes; 3. Take the tourist bus of the scenic area outside the station directly to Leidongping, and the round-trip fare is 90 yuan (the ticket is valid for two days), and the journey takes about 2 hours.
The new station opened at the end of 2014 due to the opening of Chengdu-Mianyang-Leshan intercity train is very close to the scenic spot. You can reach Emei Mountain scenic spot by walking or bus. At present, there are many high-speed trains from Chengdu to Emeishan every day. The departure time is 7:42-20:57, almost every hour. First class fare is 74 yuan, second-class fare is 65 yuan, and the journey takes about 1-1.5 hours.
Tourists usually take long-distance buses from Chengdu, Leshan, Chongqing and other places to Emeishan. There are two bus stations in Emeishan, one is the Jiuzhu (long-distance) passenger transport center(九珠长途客运中心) located in the urban area, the other is the tourist passenger transport center(旅游客运中心) located in the scenic area, where you can go to the core scenic area of Emeishan after getting off.
- Emeishan Tourism Passenger Transport Center旅游客运中心
Address: Scenic Area Road, Emeishan (near Baoguo Temple)
- Jiuzhu (Long-distance) Passenger Transport Center九珠长途客运中心
Address: About 6km away from Emeishan scenic spot
Transportation: about 10 minutes by car
How to get to Emei Mountain: take a taxi(about 20 yuan); or take No.8 bus to Baoguo temple world famous mountain Paifang station(the fare is 2 yuan)
Chengdu to Emeishan Long-distance Bus
There are direct buses running to Emeishan at Xinnanmen bus station in Chengdu. The bus departs once full occupied from 07:20 to 19:35 and takes about 2 hours. There are also buses running to Leshan city.
- Chengdu Xinnanmen Bus Station成都新南门客运站
Address: No.2, Xinnan Road, Chengdu成都市新南路2号
Website: http://www.scqcp.com (tickets can be booked in advance)
Transportation: take bus No.35 or 1022 to Zhimin Road West Station and walk for about 200m; or take bus No.21, 28 or 237 to get there
Chongqing to Emeishan Long-distance Bus
There are direct buses to Emeishan at Caiyuanba bus station in Chongqing. The departure time to Emeishan passenger transport center is 7:10, 9:00 and 11:30. The departure time to Leshan is 7:00-18:00, and departs every 1.5 hours.
- Chongqing Caiyuanba Bus Station重庆菜园坝客运站
Address: No.1 Caiyuan Road, Yuzhong District, Chongqing (next to Chongqing railway station)重庆渝中区菜袁路1号（重庆火车站旁）
Contact: 023-89033877 / 89033855
Transportation: take the grand crown escalator of 2 yuan / person at Lianglukou, or take bus 207, 210, 319, 325, 347, 419, 606, 608, 618, 619, 862 to Caiyuanba railway station
Leshan to Emeishan Long-distance Bus
There are direct buses to Emeishan at Leshan Central Station(乐山中心站) and Xiaoba Station(肖坝车站). The bus at Leshan central station departs every 10 minutes and the journey takes about 30 minutes. In addition, there are direct buses between the two Scenic Areas of Leshan Giant Buddha and Emei Mountain. It departs every 1 hour.
- Leshan Passenger Transport Center Station乐山中心站
Address: beside Heiqiao, No.1, Baiyang West Road, Shizhong District, Leshan乐山市市中区柏杨西路1号黑桥旁
How to get to Emeishan: take bus No.6 and No.9 from Leshan central station to sunshine square, then transfer to bus No.3 and No.13 to Dafo scenic area; take bus No.13 from Xiaoba station to get there
Emeishan City cannot be reached by water directly, but it is only 30km away from Leshan City (Leshan is located at the intersection of Minjiang River and Dadu River, with passenger ships connecting Yibin, Luzhou and Chongqing). You can take the passenger ship to Leshan first, and then transfer to Emeishan.
How to Get Around Emeishan
By City Bus
There are many bus lines in Emeishan with the fare of 1-1.5 yuan. There are several main lines listed below, which can be easily accessed to Emei Mountain scenic spot from railway station and bus station, but only common stations are listed as follows:
- Bus No.5A: Emeishan Station - world famous mountain - Emeishan Hot Spring Hotel - Baoguo temple - Fuhu temple.
- Bus No.5B: Emeishan Station - Foguang square.
- Bus No. 8: Crystal Square - Railway Station - Buddha temple tourist area (Yizhen) - Buddha South Road - Emeishan station (South Square) - hot spring intersection - world famous mountain.
- Bus No. 11: Emeishan station - Hongchun road - Dafo South Road - Chengbei passenger station - Damiao feilaidian.
- Regular tourist bus: Fuhu Temple - Baoguo Temple - Emeishan Station - Dafu Chanyuan - Dafu Chanyuan tourist area (Yizhen) - Emei railway station - China medicine Expo Park - Nanshang road crossing (Crystal Square) - East Lake Wetland Park - Bamboo Leaf Green Tea Expo Park - Chengbei Passenger Station - Hall of Feilai Temple .
- No. 1 Tourist Bus: Emeishan Station - Baoguo Temple - Leidongping - Wannian Temple - Wuxiangang (Qingying Pavilion) - Baoguo Temple station (Huangwan bus station) - Emeishan station.
- No.2 tourist Bus: according to the needs of tourists, it can directly reach the scenic spots of Emei Mountain (Qingyin Pavilion, Wannian temple, Zero Kilometer).
The starting price of taxi in Emeishan City is 5 yuan, which is charged by the meter. Emeishan is a small city. It is not very expensive to take a taxi to Emeishan scenic area from downtown. It is about 8km from Jiuzhu passenger transport center in the urban area to the scenic spot passenger transport center, and 9km from Emeishan railway station to the scenic spot passenger transport center. In addition, taxis can only arrive at the Yinbi square in Emei Mountain Scenic Area, and tourists need to transfer to the mountain by sightseeing bus.
Shunfeng Taxi Company: 0833-5534222, Jinding Taxi Company: 0833-5531555.
Rickshaws are available in the urban area, which holds one or two passengers. The fare depends on how far you go, usually CNY2 to 5.
Transportation in Emei Scenic Area
By Sightseeing Bus
There are five parking lots in Emeishan scenic spot:
- Baoguo Temple Passenger Transport Center: from here, you can walk to Baoguo temple, the first mountain Pavilion, Mount Emei Museum, cliff stone carving, Confucian, Buddhist and Taoist cultural corridor, Yinbin square, Shengji evening bell Pavilion and other scenic spots;
- Wuxiangang Parking Lot: from here, you can walk to Qingyin Pavilion, Qianiantian, natural and ecological monkey area and other scenic spots;
- Wannian Temple Parking Lot: from here, you can take a cableway or walk to Wannian temple, then walk up to Xixinsuo, or down to Bailong cave, Qingyin Pavilion and other scenic spots for sightseeing;
- Zero Kilometer Parking Lot: there are not many scenic spots nearby;
- Leidongping Parking Lot: next to Leidongping. Go up to the Jieyin hall, then walk or take the cableway to Jinding.
- Emei Mountain Scenic Spot - Leidongping parking lot: 90 yuan/person (round trip);
- Wanniansi parking lot/Wuxiangang parking lot - Leidongping parking lot: 70 yuan/person (round trip);
- Emei Mountain Scenic Spot - leidongping parking lot/Wanniansi parking lot: 40 yuan/person (round trip).
- Peak season: 6:00(Baoguo Temple, Huangwan station) - 14:00;
- Off season: 7:00(Baoguosi, Huangwan station) - 16:00 (Baoguosi, Huangwan station), 17:00 (Leidongping station), 18:00 (Banshan station).
Dispatching telephone: 0833-5592464
There are two common cableways in Emei Mountain Scenic Spot:
- Wannian ropeway (from Wannian parking lot to Wannian Temple)
Cost: 65 yuan up and 45 yuan down in peak season (January 16 to December 14); 30 yuan up and 20 yuan down in off season (December 15 to January 15 of the next year).
Operation time: 6:40-18:00.
- Jinding cableway (from Jieyindian to Jinding)
Cost: 65 yuan up and 55 yuan down in peak season (January 16 to December 14); 30 yuan up and 20 yuan down in off season (December 15 to January 15 of the next year).
Operation time: 5:30-18:00.
Preferential policies: the disabled (with certificate) and children (1.1m-1.4m) enjoy half price discount, and children under 1.1m are free of charge.
Huagan, also known as "Jiaozi", is a special means of transportation in Emeishan scenic spot. All the Huagan in the scenic spot are managed and priced in a unified way. The average price is about 15 yuan/mile/ride. It's not tiring to go up Mt. Emei by Huagan, but also can enjoy the beautiful scenery.