Emeishan City has a subtropical humid monsoon climate with a pleasant climate. The annual average temperature is 17.2 ℃, and the annual average rainfall is 1555.3 mm. The land is fertile and the natural resources are very rich. The climate varies significantly with altitude. So it's very common to be hot and intolerable at the foot of mount Emei, while it's cool and pleasant higher up the mountain. Emeishan Weather and Climate describes information with temperature, precipitation, Geography, What Clothes to Wear in Mount Emei, weather and climate by month, climate graph, 15 days Mount Emei weather forecast. Find out the best time to visit Mount Emei and see the season highlights in Mount Emei.
Mount Emei Weather and Climate
The mountainous area is covered by clouds and fog, with little sunshine and abundant rainfall. The annual rainfall of Mount Emei is 1933 mm and the annual snow day is 83 days. The plain area is humid climate influenced by subtropical monsoon, with an average temperature of 6.9 ℃ in January and 26.1 ℃ in July. Because of the altitude is very different, the weather conditions are also different. You should take warm clothes with you no matter what the season is. The highest part is over 2000 meters above sea level and will be covered with snow from October to next April.
Emei Mountain has high altitude and great vertical temperature change, including cold zone, sub cold zone, temperate zone and subtropical zone. In the cold zone, the altitude is more than 3047 meters, and the annual average temperature is 3 degrees. The extreme minimum temperature is - 30.9. In the sub cold zone, the altitude ranges from 3300 meters to 3047 meters. The annual average temperature is 7.6 degrees. In the temperate zone, the altitude is 1300-3300 meters, and the annual average temperature is 13.1 ℃. In the subtropical zone, the altitude is less than 1300 meters. The annual average temperature is 17.3 degrees, and the highest temperature is 38.3 degrees.
Average Temperature of Mount Emei
The month with the highest average low temperature is July (9.2°C). The coldest month (with the lowest average low temperature) is January (-9.2°C).
Average Rainfall of Emei Mountain
The wettest month (with the highest rainfall) is August (428.4mm). The driest month (with the lowest rainfall) is January (15.4mm).
Average Rainfall Days of Emei Mountain
The month with the highest number of rainy days is October (24.7 days). The month with the lowest number of rainy days is December (15.1 days).
Average Daylight of Emei Mountain
The month with the longest days is June (Average daylight: 14h). The month with shortest days is December(Average daylight: 10.3h).
Emeishan Climate by Month
Four Seasons of Emeishan & What to Wear
Spring(March - May)
Emeishan is dry and cold in spring, with an average temperature of 4 ℃ in the daytime and - 4 ℃ at night. In the spring (April) to Mount Emei, when the azaleas are blooming, you can see a sea of colorful azaleas. In addition to enjoying flowers, you can also attend the Emeishan Conference (March to April last for one month) to enjoy the grand occasion of the Lantern Festival. From late May, Wanfoding is a good place to enjoy flowers. It is also the best time to taste Emei fresh tea.
What to Wear:
- In the low mountain area, it is the same as that of other places. Just wear a T-shirt and jacket.
- In middle mountain area, the temperature began to drop, but you can still wear a T-shirt and jacket if you are walking.
- In the high mountain area, the temperature at the top of the mountain is below zero, so it's better to take a thick padded jacket or rent one at at the top of the mountain.
Summer(June - August)
The summer in Emeishan is hot and rainy, from June to the end of August. It's sultry. The temperature is low in the morning and evening, but it's very hot in the daytime, usually about 35 ℃. While the average temperature in Emei Mountain is only 11.8℃. It's a good place to escape from the heat. There are only two seasons in spring and winter in the high mountain area over 2000 meters, and the average temperature in summer is only 8-10 ℃.
What to Wear:
- Wear short sleeves in low mountain area. Even if it's a little cool, you will sweat when climbing.
- When you get to the middle mountain area, you can wear a long sleeve.
- In the high mountain area, you can wear a long sleeve during the day, but you need to wear a coat at night. If you want to see the sunrise, you need to prepare a thicker clothes.
Autumn(September - November)
In autumn, the red leaves on the mountain symbolize the autumn color of Emei Mountain. The autumn of Emei is very short. From the middle of September to the end of October every year, the leaves on the mountain change from green to yellow and from yellow to red. The average temperature in Mount Emei is 5℃ in the daytime and 11℃ at night during autumn. When you stand on the Golden Submit, overlooking the whole mountain, you can feel the autumn atmosphere: thick frost, red leaves, cloud.
What to Wear:
- Wear T-shirt and coat in low mountain area, and take a cotton vest if you are a little weak.
- In the middle mountain area, it is similar to that of low mountain area, but the higher up, the lower the temperature is. It's right to take a thick coat.
- In the high mountain area, thick cotton padded clothes are necessary.
Winter(December - February)
Emei Mountain is very cold in winter. The monthly average temperature at the top of Emei Mountain is below zero from November to March of next year. The coldest month is January, which is -6 degrees, and the lowest temperature is about -20 degrees. Ice and snow cover the area above 2000 for about half a year. Ski and hot spring are the major activities of Emei Mountain in winter. Winter is the best time to appreciate the four wonders of Mount Emei like Sunrise, Cloud Sea, Light of Buddha, Sunset Glows, etc.
What to Wear
- In the low mountain area and the middle mountain area, you can put on the winter cotton wadded jacket and other warm clothes.
- When you get to the high mountain area, you must take thick clothes with you. If you feel cold, you can rent cotton coats on the mountain.
Best Time to Visit Mount Emei
Emei Mountain is a good place to explore all the year round. However, for most of us, spring and autumn are the best time to visit when the climate is mild and the scenery is the best. During the seasons, you can appreciate abundant blossoms of azaleas and red leaves changing from green to yellow and from yellow to red.
In summer, it's cool in Mount Emei which is a good place to escape from the heat. Full of green makes it a good place to relax. In the winter, the scenery of Mount Emei is also amazing. Besides, you can join the activities of skiing, skating, tug-of-war competition etc.
The best viewing time in Mount Emei:
- Sunrise: 6:00(summer) and 7:00(winter)
- Cloud Sea: 9:00-10:00, 15:00-16:00
- Golden Buddhist Light: 9:00-10:00, 15:00-16:00
- Wild Azalea Blossom: Lei Dongping - April to May, Wanfoding - May to June
- Summer Retreat: June to October
- Red Leaves: October
- Snowscape & Skiing: November to March
- Wild Monkeys: all year around
See more about Best Tine to Visit Mount Emei.
Travel Tips for Mount Emei
- Wear loose, sweat-absorbing clothes that are not too colorful. Colorful clothes tend to irritate monkeys and cause unnecessary trouble. Women do not wear skirts. Choose the right shoes.
- Mount Emei has more rain, prepare an umbrella or buy a disposable raincoat in the scenic area.
- The temperature at different altitudes in Emei Mountain is very different. Generally, the difference between the top of the mountain and the foot of the mountain is about 14 ℃. Be sure to keep warm.
- Please be cautious while passing the area of monkeys, since they are sometimes may grab your belongings or hurt you.