Zhangjiajie City is located in the northwestern part of Hunan Province. It is located at the junction of the Yunnan-Guizhou Plateau and the settlement area of Dongting Lake. It is between 109°40" and 111° 20" east longitude and 28°52" to 29°48" north latitude. It connect Shimen County, Taoyuan County in the east, Yuanling County in the south and Hefeng County, Yi'en County of Hubei Province in the north. Wulingyuan Scenic Area was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1992 as well as an AAAAA scenic area by the China National Tourism Administration.
- Chinese Name: 张家界
- Administrative Category: Prefecture-level City
- Location: Northwest Hunan
- Area: About 9,653 square kilometers
- Population: 1,700,000(2013)
At the end of 2011, Zhangjiajie City has jurisdiction over 2 districts and 2 counties, with a total of 6 subdistricts, 32 towns, 47 townships, 15 ethnic townships.
- 2 Districts: Yongding District(永定区), Wulingyuan District(武陵源区)
- 2 Counties: Cili County(慈利), Sangzhi County(桑植县)
The geological formation of Zhangjiajie belongs to the New Cathaysian tectonic system. About three billion and eight thousand years ago, this place was a large patch of ocean. After a series of geological changes including Wuling-xuefeng, Indo-china, Yanshan, Himalayan and Neotectonic movements, the bottom of ocean rose out of the surface, and the quartzite sandstone pillars and peaks took shape after the gradual cutting, eroding and crumbling of Nature for millions of years.
Zhangjiajie is located in the middle latitude of the Northern Hemisphere, enjoys monsoon humid climate with abundant light and heat, abundant rainfall, long frost-free period, short cold period and four distinct seasons. The average annual sunshine, temperature and precipitation are 1,440 hours, 16℃ and 1,400 mm respectively. The average annual frost-free period is between 216 days and 269 days. Affected by topography, landforms and other factors, the climate in the territory is complex and variable, and natural disasters such as droughts, floods, gale, hail are also frequent. The annual average temperature is 17°C, the average temperature in January is 5.1 °C, the average temperature in July is 28 °C, and the annual precipitation is 14,00 mm. The urban area of Zhangjiajie is 183 meters above sea level, and the average elevation of the scenic spots is 1,000 meters. Due to this difference, the temperature difference between day and night can reach 10 °C.
Best Time to Go
Zhangjiajie is a place to visit all year round.
- Spring(April to May): Spring is a season that all comes into life. All leaves are verdan, the buds are tender, and misty landscapes are likely to show after the rain. Of course, it is the one of the best time to visit Zhangjiajie for photographers.
- Summer(June to August): Although it is hot in summer, especially in the daytime, it is cool when you come to Zhangjiajie National Forest Park. On rainy days, the mountains are beautiful, which are encircled by mist.
- Autumn(September to November): Autumn is a harvest season, also a tourism season. The beauty of Zhangjiajie in autumn will always make you enjoy yourselves so much as to forget to leave. Tianzi Mountain is the best place to see fallen leaves.
- Winter(December to March of the next year): It is the season that is possible to see the snow scenery in the mountains, such as Tianzi Mountain.
Zhangjiajie is a prefecture-level city in the northwestern part of Hunan province, China. There are many ways for you to get to Zhangjiajie, namely, by air, train, or bus.
Zhangjiajie, a place with many ethnic minorities, has many unique folk festivals and the strong customs, which have become the major scenery line of Zhangjiajie Tourism. Although there are many traditional festivals in China, the most exciting is undoubtedly unique festivals for all ethnic groups.
- Birthday of Earth God(土地神生日)
- Huachao Festival(花朝大期)
- Sagebrush Festival(蒿子节)
- Buddha Bathing Festival(浴佛节)
- The Torch Festival of Bai Minority(白族火把节)
- New Year of Tujia Minority(土家新年)
- Tujia June 6(土家六月六)
- Zhangjiajie International Forest Festival
What to Do in Zhangjiajie
Characterized by spectacular landscapes, charming natural scenery and diverse ethnic customs, Zhangjiajie is an impressive region to visit. Zhangjiajie National Forest Park shall be on the list of Zhangjiajie Travel, and it has different beauties in four seasons. Glass Bridge in Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon is a must-see place when you come to Zhangjiajie. When you come to Zhangjiajie, there are too many things to do, such as the famous Yangjiajie Scenic Area in Wulingyuan District, Zhangjiajie, the splendid Gallery of Sandstone Painting in Zhangjiajie. Zhangjiajie is also a place to experience the culture of the Tujia architecture, typical villages of Tujia ethnic group and Tujia Ethnic Folk Garden is a good place to visit. If you are interested in the architecture culture of Tujia and Miao, Fenghuang Ancient Town is your best choice. It is difficult to list all attractions in Zhangjiajie one by one. If you want to know detailed information about attractions in Zhangjiajie, you can see the introduction of attractions in the following. Of course, you can contact us for more detailed information. Therefore, come here, we can always find the right attractions for you according to your requirements. In fact, when you choose to go to Guangxi, what you meet will be a dreamy trip.