Anju Ancient Town in Tongliang District, Chongqing
Anju Ancient Town is one of the 20 famous historical and cultural towns approved by Chongqing. It was awarded the fourth batch of famous Chinese historical and cultural towns in 2008 and is a national AAAA tourist attraction.
Chinese Name: 安居古镇
English Name: Anju Ancient Town
Type: Cultural Scenic Area, Chongqing famous spots & Cultural attractions
Best Time: All Year Around
Recommended Visiting Hours: over 3 hours
Opening Hours:All day (January 1-December 31, Monday-Sunday)
Location: In Anju Town, Tongliang District, Chongqing City
Why is Anju Ancient Town so Special?
More than 4,000 years ago, people lived in a comfortable home. Anju Ancient Town was founded in the Sui Dynasty, formerly known as Chishui County, with a history of more than 1500 years. Anju Ancient Town is one of the 20 famous historical and cultural towns approved by Chongqing and was awarded the fourth batch of famous historical and cultural towns in China in 2008.
The History of Anju Ancient Town
As early as more than 4,000 years ago, there were already human settlements in Anju ancient town.
In 728 AD, Anju Town was one of the twelve towns under the jurisdiction of the county.
After liberation in December 1949, the ancient town was protected by the state.
The ancient city has a patchwork of ancient town buildings, exquisite historical relics, beautiful scenery, and unique traditional customs.
Anju has unique water resources and abundant water resources that can be used to generate electricity, which has laid an important foundation for the economic development of Anju. Sandstone resources needed for infrastructure construction are very abundant.
There are many tourist attractions in Anju ancient town, “Anju Eight Scenes” and “Jiugong Eighteen Temples” are well-known far and wide. Anju scenery is beautiful and unique. There are not only unique ancient town buildings (traditional blocks) scattered randomly, but also exquisite historical relics all over the ancient town. There are beautiful landscapes (characteristic ecological agriculture) and unique traditional customs (dragon boat race, folk color tie, famous snacks).
Characteristics of Ancient Town
Anju is also one of the cradles of the bronze beam folk color binding technology, which has made an indelible contribution to the design and modeling of the Chinese bronze beam dragon. There are many folk legends about Anju, an ancient town. The scenic spots and historic sites of Anju have been severely damaged in modern times. If these landscapes are preserved, they will be a wonderful place for sightseeing in Tongliang and even Chongqing.
How to Get There
1. Enter G85/ Chengdu-Chongqing Expressway/Chongqing-Kunming Expressway Detailed Section;
2. Drive along G85/ Chengdu-Chongqing Expressway/Chongqing-Kunming Expressway for 4.5km, exit from Gaotan Rock Interchange/Inner Ring Expressway /G75/G93/G50, and enter G93/G75/ Chengdu-Chongqing Ring Expressway/Lanhai Expressway/Inner Ring Expressway;
3. Follow G93/G75/ Chengdu-Chongqing Ring Expressway/Lanhai Expressway/Inner Ring Expressway for 2.2km, leave Suining /G93/ Xiyong/University Town/Bishan Exit and enter Yusui Expressway /G93/ Chengdu-Chongqing Ring Expressway;
4. Follow Yusui Expressway /G93/ Chengdu-Chongqing Ring Expressway for 66.4km (via Shapingba Toll Station), exit from partly cloudy /G319 (via partly cloudy Toll Station), turn right into G319;
5. Follow G319 for 2.4km, pass the gas station for about 100m and turn left slightly to enter S416；
6. Follow S416 for 44 meters and turn left into S416.
- Cars: Take a bus from Chen Jiaping bus station, Longtousi bus station, Caiyuanba bus station to Tongliang Beimen bus station, take a taxi from Beimen bus station to Nanmen bus station, and there is a bus to Anju at Nanmen bus station.