Even a brief visit to the zoo in Chongqing is worthwhile because you can observe many pandas at close quarters, while in Sichuan they are nearly extinct in the wild. An early start is necessary if you wish to see the Panda feeding at 9 am. However, this is also when most of the rest of the tourists will be present.
English Name: Chongqing Zoo
Chinese Name: 重庆动物园
Opening Hours: 07:00 am - 18:00 pm
Admission Fee: Jan. - Nov.: CNY 25; Dec.: CNY 20;
Recommended Visiting Hours:
Address: 25 Xijiao Road, Jiulongpo District, Chongqing, China
The zoo is located at Yangjiaping on Xijiao Road in the Jiulongpo District of Chongqing. It was built in 1953 and officially opened to the public in 1955. The zoo covers an area of 45 hectares (111 acres).
Why is So Special
The zoo an important base for the protection of and research on wild animals. It exhibits rare species including giant pandas, red pandas, the very rare South China tiger and white tiger, and the African elephant. The zoo is home to one of China’s national treasures, the panda, of which there are more than in the average zoo. The National Huanan Tiger Breeding Center is also based at the zoo.
Introduction of Chongqing Zoo
Built in 1953, Chongqing Zoo occupies an area of 45 hectares, ranking as the biggest urban zoo in China. Located in the suburbs of Chongqing City, Chongqing Zoo is famous for the various animals including more than 230 kinds of rare wild ones. The highlight of this attraction is the Panda House which covers about 2 hectares in size.
The Panda Room in Chongqing Zoo is a must-see site for visitors. The popularity of Panda House can be detected from the large number of visitors which is always exceeding 1 billion annually. In order to preserve this valuable species, the Panda House in Chongqing Zoo is designed according to the natural environment and the living habits of giant panda. Here, visitors can get a close distance to watch the giant pandas and their offspring.
All Kinds of Animals
Chongqing Zoo is home to quite a complete range of animals, including giant pandas, giraffes, lions, zebra, elephants, tigers, crocodiles, and apes. Housing more than 230 species of animals, over 4,000 in total, there are herbivores, amphibious animals, wild animals, birds and fishes, living in the visiting areas, such as Tiger Hill, Bear Hill, Gorilla House, Deer Park, Kangaroo Park, Elephant House, Panda House, Goldfish House and Birds Paradise.
Other Amusement Places
There is also an amusement park, dry skating arena, outdoor stage, restaurants and tea house in the Chongqing Zoo. The amusement park is suitable for children and adults, with some joyful items like carousel and mini-train riding and thrilling items like inertia pulley and Splash Water. Next to the amusement park is a science classroom, suitable for children between 3 and 12 years old, where they can watch animal movies, make paper-cut, paint pictures and read animal science books for free.
How to Get There
- By Subway
The main entrance of the zoo is close to Chongqing Zoo Station on Line 2 of the Chongqing Rail Transit Metro system. Take the CRT Line 2 to the Dongwuyuan station, from which it is a 5-minute walk.
- Take bus 148, 204, 207, 229, 275, 310, 341, 362, 413, 416, 419, 420, 426, 428, 454, 471, 475, 478, or 482 to Dongwuyuan (Zoo).
Useful Travel Tips
- If you follow the instructions when you stroll around the zoo, you can see all the animals without walking down the same path twice.
- The best chance of seeing pandas is during feeding — between 8:30 and 10:30am.
- There is a Visitor Center near the main entrance of Chongqing Zoo, where you can store your luggage.
- Don’t feed the animals yourself for the sake of safety.
- If you are in bright wears, don’t make loud noise or walk around randomly at the wild animal areas.
Main Attractions in Chongqing
- Zhuoshui Ancient Town in Qianjiang District
- E’ling Park (Goose Neck Park) in Chongqing
- Three Gorges Museum in Chongqing
- Ciqikou Ancient Town in Chongqing
- Ningchang Ancient Town in Wuxi County
- Kanggu Scenic Area in Chengkou County
- Longgang National Geopark in Yunyang County
- Huaxia Peony Garden in Dianjiang County
- Chiyou Jiuli City in Pengshui County
- Hong’an Ancient Town in Xiushan County
- Qianye Grassland in Shizhu County
- Taohuayuan Scenic Area in Youyang County
- Dazu Rock Carvings in Chongqing