Lan Kwai Fong in Hong Kong
Lan Kwai Fong Facts
Lan Kwai Fong is one of Hong Kong’s most popular nightlife hot spots and home to over 90 restaurants and bars. The atmosphere ranges from stylish wine pairings to raucous jelly shots and the food on offer is as diverse as the clientele.
Chinese Name: 香港兰桂坊
Type: Party hub; Bar street
Address: located between Wyndham Street and D'Aguilar Street on Hong Kong Island
Best Seasons: All year round
Recommended Visiting Hours: about 2-4 hours
Why is Lan Kwai Fong so Special?
This Central hot spot is famous for its night scene and award-winning dining. As the most famous bar street in Hong Kong, 80 restaurants and bars are spread in this narrow L-shaped lane. Central, the economic and financial center of Hong Kong, has a concentration of foreign enterprises, multinational companies, government headquarters, and office buildings with famous attorneys. To get to know what the elites at those places look like after work, one is destined to go to Lan Kwai Fong.
Where is Lan Kwai Fong?
Lan Kwai Fong (often abbreviated as LKF) is a small square of streets in Central, Hong Kong. The area was dedicated to hawkers before the Second World War, but underwent a renaissance in the mid-1980s. It is now a popular expatriate haunt in Hong Kong for drinking, clubbing and dining.
History of Lan Kwai Fong
Before the Second World War, Lan Kwai Fong was dedicated to hawkers. In early days, the square housed many mui yan (媒人), or marriage arrangers, a role exclusively held by females. Mui yan were marriage intermediaries between two families in traditional times. It was thus known as Mui Yan Hong or Hung Leung Hong.
Between 2011 and 2015, a massive change was underway, following Zeman’s decision to replace his block in Lan Kwai Fong. This led to a substantial area of Lan Kwai Fong becoming a construction site.
Papular Bars of Lan Kwai Fong
A small yet lively bar. The seats in front offer a view of the bustling crowds. Service hours last as long as 16 hours from 09:00 to 01:00 the next morning.
In the heart of Lan Kwai Fong, the first floor has bar stools and the second floor has a glamorous lounge bar.
A classic brand, serving traditional British breakfasts and self-help drinks at night, each of which costs HK$97
La Doice Vita 97
The most popular bar. Offering Italian gourmet food during the day, it is a music bar at night with live shows each Thursday and Saturday.
The Whiskey Priest: An Ireland theme bar. It is a good place for live ball game broadcasts, serving authentic Irish dishes and black beer.
Recommended Hong Kong Tour
- 4 Days Hong Kong Discovery Tour
- 3 Days Hong Kong Disneyland Tour for Family
- 2 Days Hong Kong Highlights Tour
- 2 Days Hong Kong & Macau Highlights Tour
- 3 Days Hong Kong In-depth Tour with Walking Experience
How to Get to Lan Kwai Fong
Travel with ChinaDragonTours (top recommended)
If you want to get out of the traffic and hassle of navigation, you can book a private tour package that includes visiting, dining and transfer from us. Our local guide and driver will escort you to Lan Kwai Fong in Hong Kong in the fastest and most convenient way and take care of all the details. You just have to focus on the visiting.
- By MTR
Take Tsuen Wan Line or Island Line to Central, then exit from D1; turn right to Pedder Street and walk until you reach Queen’s Road Central, turn left when you get to D’Aguilar Street, walk straight along D’Aguilar Street and you will reach there. It takes 10 minutes or so to walk. (Note that the MTR generally runs to half past 12 at night and starts at half past 5 in the morning, so visitors have to take a taxi if they stay too late.)
- By Bus
Take Bus 12, 12m, 13 or 40m to Lan Kwai Fong, D’Aguilar St.
Useful Travel Tips
- Where to Stay in Hong Kong
JW Marriott Hotel Hong Kong: Our Hong Kong go to hotel is the JW Marriott and the Harbour views are a bonus. Adjacent to the fab Pacific Place shopping mall with access to Admiralty MTR station making sightseeing and transport seamless – Click here for latest prices
The Upper House: Another great luxury Hong Kong hotel is the Upper House with it’s amazing views, luxurious rooms and great location – Click here for latest prices
Hotel Stage: a Kowloon fave and a fab boutique option with reasonably priced rooms – Click here for latest prices
Ovolo: a short walk from the Hong Kong mid level escalators it’s compact and efficient and perfect for exploring the city – Click here for latest prices
- Taxi is one of the most popular ways to and from the Hong Kong International Airport. It is fast, comfortable and offers point-to-point travel. The taxi rank is located outside the Arrival Hall on the left side. Follow the direction signs. The estimated fare is HK$220-230 plus HK$5 for each piece of luggage stored inside the baggage compartment, and each piece of luggage with total dimensions (length + width + height) exceeding 140cm stored inside the cabin. The journey time is about 30-40 minutes. The fare and time depend on traffic conditions. Hong Kong taxi drivers know all the major hotels, but it is a good idea to note the address of your hotel or destination point on a piece of paper.
- Also, visitors to Hong Kong may take the Airport Express train. The journey to Kowloon station costs HK$90 and takes 21 minutes. The trains run every 10 minutes from 5:50am to 1:15am daily. There are discounts up to 40% for those who travel in a group or family. HK$140 for a group of 2, HK$190 for a group of 3 and HK$220 for a group of 4. Then take a taxi or Free Airport Express Shuttle Bus to your hotel or destination point.
- Consumer Budget
Each bottle of the beer cost HK$40 to HK$50 generally, but the cocktails favored by many women may range from HK$70 to HK$150. Some bars may charge an admission fee, changeable with the time period and ranging from HK$150 to HK$400, so ask about the charges before going into any one of the bars. Some bars also have Ladies’ Night, when ladies get free admission or a free drink.