Hangzhou Botanical Garden
Hangzhou Botanical Garden Facts
Hangzhou Botanical Garden, built in 1965 at the foot of Jade Spring Hill, is a recreational area for kids and adults, as well as a research base dedicated to the cultivation of plants, and protecting and studying the environment.
Chinese Name: 杭州植物园
Type: Botanical Garden; Plants
Address: Hangzhou City, Zhejiang Province
Best Seasons: All year round; Spring and autumn best.
Recommended Visiting Hours: about 2-3 hours
Opening Hours: 7:00 - 17:30
Ticket:CNY 10 for adults; CNY 5 for children between 1.2 - 1.5 meters (3.9 and 4.9 feet); Free for children below 1.2 meters.
Why is Hangzhou Botanical Garden So Special?
Hangzhou Botanical Garden has wonderful scenery and an excellent environment. It is beautiful, with decorative architecture including pavilions and kiosks. Verdant trees, colorful and lovely flowers, and extremely fresh air seem to bring people into a world full of the pleasure of natural beauty.
Brief Introduction of Hangzhou Botanical Garden
Located in the northwest of West Lake, Hangzhou Botanical Garden is filled with green plants, just like a huge open-air botanical museum. Visitors often come here to enjoy the landscape, take photos and breathe fresh air during the holidays. In early spring during the flower show of plum blossoms, the botanical garden welcomes the most visitors. Because of the warm and moist weather of Hangzhou, the garden scenery appears variously in the four seasons.
It is divided into several sections according to the different varieties of plants. For instance, there is an azalea garden and a peach garden for spring sightseeing; in summer, leagues of bamboo forests flourish at the northeastern corner of the garden; in autumn, there are osmanthus and crepe myrtle gardens and a chrysanthemum exhibition; in winter, there are wintersweets and camellias. Over a thousand varieties of herbal plants are growing at the Baicao (hundred herbs) Garden.
What To Do in Hangzhou Botanical Garden
Main Attractions of Hangzhou Botanical Garden
Garden of Economic Plants
Recommended Tour Packages
- 2 Days Hangzhou Silk Culture Tour
- Hangzhou West Lake Night Cruise Tour
- 1 Day Hangzhou Tour to Xixi National Wetland Park, West Lake Cruise and Dragon Well Tea Plantation
- 2 Days Hangzhou City Highlights Tour
- Hangzhou Grand Canal and Qiantang River Night Cruise Tour
- 5 Days Hangzhou and Huangshan Tour by Speed Train
- 1 Day Hangzhou City Group Tour from Shanghai
Best Seasons to Visit Hangzhou
- Many people in China believe that spring and autumn are the two best seasons to visit Hangzhou, specially late March-May and September-mid November.
- In these seasons, temperature is warm but not hot. Daytime temperature ranges from mid 10s to mid 20s centigrade, and night time temperature ranges from low 10s to low 20s.
- Spring is the best season to visit the West Lake because all kinds of flowers are blossoming that time. In order: plum blossom, peach blossom, and cherry blossom.
- Autumn is also very nice and my favorite because of the yellow and red leaves.
- However, I suggest avoiding the last week of September and the first 2 weeks of October because that’s when the city becomes packed with tourists from the golden week holidays.
How to get to Hangzhou Botanical Garden
Travel with ChinaDragonTours (top recommended)
If you want to get out of the traffic and hassle of navigation, you can book a private tour package that includes visiting, dining and transfer from us. Our local guide and driver will escort you to Hangzhou Botanical Garden in the fastest and most convenient way and take care of all the details. You just have to focus on the visiting.
Take bus 7, 15, 27, 28, 82, 87, 103, 103b, 807, j13, or jy6 and get off at Zhiwuyuan (Botanical Garden) Station.
Useful Travel Tips
- Avoid visiting during school holidays and Golden Week in October as there will be large numbers of local tourists.
- Some entertainment facilities in Hangzhou Botanical Garden offer tourists a chance to relax to their hearts content. No matter what season it is, the garden will give tourists endless pleasure. The beautiful Yulan trees in spring, the leisure hours spent viewing the lotus or on the hammock forest in summer, the fragrance of sweet-scented-osmanthus in autumn, the pines and bamboos which are still green and vigorous in winter add great pleasure to any visit here.
- Twin Peaks Piercing the Clouds
- Jingci Temple
- Baochu Pagoda
- Leifeng Pagoda
- Fenghuang Mosque
- Viewing Fish at Flower Harbor