Shanghai Ocean Aquarium
The Shanghai Ocean Aquarium is a public aquarium, designed by Advanced Aquarium Technologies, the aquarium includes a 168-meter (551 ft) tunnel that takes visitors through a coastal reef, open ocean, a kelp cave, shark cove, and a coral reef, and is one of the longest such tunnels in the world.
English Name: Ocean Aquarium in Shanghai
Chinese Name: 上海海洋水族馆
Attraction Type: Ocean Aquarium
Best Time to Visit: Whole year
Recommended Visiting Time: about 4-5 hours
Admission Fee: CNY 160-310
Address in English: No. 1388 Lujiazui Ring Road, Pudong New Area, Shanghai
Address in Chinese:上海浦东新区陆家嘴环路1388号
Why is Ocean Aquarium in Shanghai so Special?
The Shanghai Ocean Aquarium is a public aquarium, designed by Advanced Aquarium Technologies, the aquarium includes a 168-meter (551 ft) tunnel that takes visitors through a coastal reef, open ocean, a kelp cave, shark cove, and a coral reef, and is one of the longest such tunnels in the world. The aquarium takes visitors through several exhibit “zones,” including China Zone, South America Zone, Africa Zone, etc.
Where is Ocean Aquarium in Shanghai?
The Shanghai Ocean Aquarium is located at No. 1388 Lujiazui Ring Road, Pudong New Area, Shanghai, next to the Oriental Pearl Tower.
How to Get There?
- Take Bus No.81, 82, 85, 583, 774, 795, 798, 799, 870, 961, 971, 985, 992, 993 or 996 and get off at Lujiazui Subway Station or Lujiazui Ring Road
- Take Metro Line No. 2 and get off at Lujiazui Station. Next get out from Exit 1. Shanghai Ocean Aquarium is about 200 meters from the station.
After buying tickets on the first floor, tourists go to the third floor first, and then to the basement to visit the main building. The main buildings are divided into different exhibition areas: China, South America, Australia, Africa, Southeast Asia, cold water, polar area, seaside area, deep sea area and special exhibition area. The exhibits include more than 300 kinds and 15000 kinds of aquatic organisms and rare fish, such as poison dart frog, jellyfish, moonfish, yehailong, emperor penguin, etc.
On the third floor, there are seven exhibition areas, VIPs hall, science and education room and waterfall. China, South America, Australia and special exhibition areas are also located on this floor.
On the second floor, there are areas for Africa, Southeast Asia, cold water and polar regions. The marine and coastal exhibitions are also here.
The basement is the main part of the aquarium and the location of the deep sea area. The undersea sightseeing tunnel makes tourists have a wonderful trip here. After visiting the basement, visitors can return to the first floor for dinner and purchase souvenirs and gifts.
The various creatures here are fed at fixed times when visitors may enjoy the spectacle. Times are arranged as follows:
- Wide Ocean in Deep Ocean Zone: 10:10-10:25; 14:40-14:55
- Shoals of Fish in Deep Ocean Zone: 10:30-10:40; 15:00-15:10
- Sharks in Deep Ocean Zone: 10:30-11:00; 15:00-15:30
- Spotted Seals in Cold Water Zone: 10:40-10:50; 15:40-15:50
- Penguins in Polar Zone: 11:00-11:15; 16:00-16:15
Note: For the habit of marine creatures, the feeding time may change without notice visitors.
Useful Travel Tips
- Entrance Fee: Adults: CNY 160; Children between 1 and 1.4m (3.3 and 4.6 feet): CNY 110; Free for children under 1 meter
- Opening Hours: 9:00-18:00; 9:00-21:00 for Summer Holiday (July and August), National Day Holiday (Oct. 1 – 7) and Chinese New Year Holiday (last day of a year and the following six days in Chinese calendar)
- Tickets sales and admission end half an hour before the closing time.
Nearby Attraction in Shanghai
- China Art Museum in Shanghai
- Shanghai Natural Wild Insect Kingdom
- Shanghai Natural History Museum
- Soong Ching Ling Memorial Residence