China Red Sandalwood Museum in Beijing
China Red Sandalwood Museum covers 9,569 square meters (11,444 square yards), and is the first and largest private museum in China that includes collections, research, exhibitions, and the appreciation of Red Sandalwood artwork.
English Name: China Red Sandalwood Museum
Chinese Name: 中国紫檀博物馆
Attraction Type: Beijing Attraction, Red Sandalwood, Museum
Best Time to Visit: Whole year
Recommended Visiting Time: about 1-2 hours
Admission Fee: CNY 50
Address in English: Jianguo Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing
Address in Chinese: 北京朝阳区建国路
Why is the China Red Sandalwood Museum in Beijing so Special?
China Red Sandalwood Museum is a grouping of architecture in the Ming (1368-1644) and Qing (1644-1912) styles. It covers 9,569 square meters (11,444 square yards), and is the first and largest private museum in China that includes collections, research, exhibitions, and the appreciation of Red Sandalwood artwork.
Where is the China Red Sandalwood Museum in Beijing?
China Red Sandalwood Museum is located at Jianguo Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing.
How to Get There
- Take subway Batong Line, and get off at the Gaobeidian Station. Then, walk westwards along Jianguo Road for around 400 meters (430 yards) to the museum.
- Take subway Line 1, and get off at the Sihuidong Station. Then, walk eastwards along Jianguo Road for around 1,000 meters (1,090 yards) to the museum.
- Take bus nos. 397, 475, 506, or 666, and get off at Gaobeidian Bridge East. Go across the road and walk westward for around 500 meters (540 yards) to the museum.
- Take bus no. 517, or Yuntong line 121, and get off at Gaobeidian Bridge North. Then walk westwards along Jianguo Road for around 500 meters (540 yards) to the museum.
- Take bus no. 468, and get off at Xinglong Jiayuan South District. Then walk eastwards for around 300 meters (320 yards) along Jianguo Road to the museum.
There are nearly 1000 pieces of red sandalwood, including more than 10 pieces of Ming Dynasty furniture and miniaturization of ancient buildings. In addition, China red sandalwood Museum has opened an exhibition, which mainly displays the materials, modeling, structure and artistic carving of traditional red sandalwood furniture, so as to help visitors better understand the manufacturing process of traditional Chinese furniture.
In the center of the first floor is a replica of the golden throne of Qianqing palace, the Forbidden City. There are also many small and famous architectural displays on this floor, such as the Qianqiu Pavilion and Wanchun Pavilion model in the imperial garden of the Forbidden City. They stand on the left and right sides of the central throne, and there is a model of Tianting in the southeast corner of the floor. In addition, visitors can also visit the Qing style hall in the southwest corner, which is a typical living room of the Qing Dynasty. The exhibition hall in the northeast corner displays Chinese classical canopy beds.
On the second floor of China Red Sandalwood Museum, there are many precious screens and exquisitely carved throne. There are also some replica displays of ancient Chinese architecture, such as the replica of the spiritual cultivation hall in the Forbidden City. Other exhibitions include a Ming style hall, traditional sanctuaries and traditional new houses.
On the third floor, there are two important replicas: one is the model of Beijing Quadrangle, the other is the screen engraved with the picture of the Festival of Pure Brightness on the River in the Northern Song Dynasty (960-1127). The replica of this residential building is very large, 2-3 meters (7-13 feet) high. The red sandalwood carvings of the courtyard and nearby houses are beautiful in every detail.
The picture of the Festival of Pure Brightness on the River was painted by Zhang Zeduan, a painter in the Song Dynasty. It is regarded as the most important painting in ancient Chinese life and Great China itself.
There is a VIP room on the fourth floor. Tourists can go there to have a rest. In addition, there is a multi-functional exhibition hall.
The center of the fifth floor is mainly the red sandalwood model of the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest. There is a teahouse where tourists can rest and drink tea.
Useful Travel Tips
- Admission Fee:
CNY 50 per person.
Free of charge for children below 1.3 meters (4.2 feet)
- Opening Hours: 9:00-17:00 from Tuesday to Sunday (Stop selling tickets at 16: 30).
- Closed on the day before the Chinese New Year and the first three days of the festival.
- Visitors can take photos in only six places, museum signs indicate where you are allowed to take pictures in China Red Sandalwood Museum
- 6 Days Beijing and Zhangjiakou 2022 Beijing Winter Olympic Tour
- 7 Days Beijing and Zhangjiakou 2022 Beijing Winter Olympic Tour