Mao Zedong Bronze Statue Square in Shaoshan
Surrounded by green pines and bamboos, the mountains are protected by arches. The bronze statue, with its tall body, steady posture, smiling and thoughtful face, successfully shaped the great style of the leader when he was in founding ceremony.
English Name: Mao Zedong Bronze Statue Square in Shaoshan
Type: Shaoshan Scenic Area, Shaoshan famous spots & Shaoshan attractions
Best Time: All Year Around
Recommended Visiting Hours: 2-3 hours
Location: Located in Shaoshan City, Xiangtan City, Hunan Province
Why is Mao Zedong Bronze Statue Square So Special?
Surrounded by green pines and bamboos, the mountains are protected by arches. The bronze statue, with its tall body, steady posture, smiling and thoughtful face, successfully shaped the great style of the leader when he was in founding ceremony. On the base of the bronze statue are engraved the five gold-lettered characters “Comrade Mao Zedong” inscribed by Jiang Zemin. The bronze statue of Mao Zedong was designed according to the image of the chairman on the founding ceremony. The chairman sits in the southwest and faces the northeast. His body is gigantic, he is holding a speech, he is dressed in a Chinese tunic suit, his eyes are bright, his smile is slight, and he is in high spirits. The bronze statue is 6 meters high and weighs 3.7 tons. The red granite base is 4.1 meters high and the whole height is 10.1 meters.
Where is Mao Zedong Bronze Statue Square
Main Attraction of Mao Zedong Bronze Statue Square
Among them, the viewing space covers an area of 1112 square meters and the bronze statue is surrounded by 56 cedar trees on three sides, symbolizing the unity of 56 ethnic groups in our country around the Party Central Committee, forming a thick and spectacular background forest effect. This area is mainly for tourists to pay their respects to flowers and express their respect for Chairman Mao. The visiting space covers an area of 1700 square meters, which is 12 steps away from the viewing space. It is mainly used for tourists to take pictures and watch large-scale commemorative activities.
The square has a total area of 102800 square meters. Among them, the viewing area is 1,500 square meters, the memorial area is 1,700 square meters, the assembly area is 6,300 square meters, and the leisure area is 93,300 square meters (including viewing avenue area: 183m long (meaning the chairman’s height is 1.83 m) × 12.26m wide (meaning the chairman’s birthday is on December 26) =2244 square meters, and the farmland area is 20 mu). The square has a total investment of 66 million yuan.
Stage use; The memorial space covers an area of 5,950 square meters, which is 12 steps away from the visiting space. The area is mainly used for tourists to evacuate, commemorative activities and gatherings. The leisure space area is mainly located in the creation of a viewing atmosphere for tourists to relax and visit the bronze statue, with landscape boulevards and stone carvings on the central axis.
There is a landscape stone at the entrance of Zhanyang Avenue on the central axis of the square. There is a landscape stone inscribed with the words “China has a Mao Zedong” written by Mr. Shen Peng, former chairman of the Chinese Calligrapher’s Association. There are six symmetrical small landscape stones on both sides of the road, inscribed with Chairman Mao’s poems such as “Qin Yuan Chun Xue”. The plants in the surrounding green areas are arranged in a way of “seeing red all the year round”, and trees and shrubs form a knot.
What are the wonders of Mao Zedong Bronze Statue Square?
- Chairman Mao’s bronze statue was made by Nanjing Chenguang Factory and carved by China for famous sculptors Liu Kailiang and Cheng Yunxian for 120 days. Chairman Mao’s bronze statue was shipped from Nanjing on December 6, 1993 and entered Hunan via Jiangsu, Anhui, Hubei and Jiangxi. When the motorcade carrying Chairman Mao’s bronze statue arrived at Jinggang Mountain in Jiangxi Province, the car suddenly stalled. The drivers did not find any problems after repeated inspections. At this time, a 70-year-old watch said: “Jinggang Mountain was the first place where Chairman Mao went out of the mountains and took up arms to make revolution. His old man’s house wanted to stay here for a night and have a look.” By the next day, the car was miraculously able to start without any overhaul. On a “herringbone” hillside at the junction of Jiangxi and Hunan, it was raining cats and dogs. the road into jinggang mountain was very slippery. more than 100 cars were damaged to varying degrees. some could not walk at all. only the car carrying the bronze statue passed jinggang mountain smoothly and safely. When a reporter asked the driver, the driver said, “I think chairman Mao has blessed me.” Therefore, many drivers now have a small badge with Chairman Mao on the front of their cars in order to have a safe journey.
- At that time, it was December, and all the azaleas in the mountain were in full bloom at once, especially the one behind Chairman Mao’s former residence. As we all know, azaleas usually open from March to April each year, but this time it is in the winter months, several months earlier than the previous flowering season.
- On December 26, 1993, when the color was revealed, six large colored butterflies danced around the bronze statue of the chairman and refused to leave for a long time. Spectators were amazed. An old man introduced Chairman Mao’s six relatives who died for the revolution: Yang Kaihui, Mao Zemin, Mao Zetan, Mao Anying, Mao Chuxiong and Mao Zejian.
Best Time to Travel Mao Zedong Bronze Statue Square
Shaoshan is suitable for traveling all the year round, and the best season is from March to October.
Mao Zedong Bronze Statue Square is an outdoor scenic spot. Rain may cause some inconvenience to visitors. Please pay attention to the weather changes when traveling. Regionally speaking, the scenic spot is located in Shaoshan District, Shaoshan District is located in a subtropical humid climate zone with four distinct seasons, Leng Xia is hot in winter, hot in summer and short in cold.
Useful Travel Tips
|Opening Hours||all day long|
- Liuye Lake in Changde
- Taohuayuan Scenic Area in Changde
- Zhangguying Village in Yueyang
- Hongjiang Ancient Commercial Town
- Qianyang Ancient Town in Huaihua City
- Qu Yuan Temple in Yueyang
Recommended Hunan Tour Packages
- 1 Day Zhangjiajie Grand Canyon Glass Bridge Tour
- 3 Days Zhangjiajie National Forest Park Tour
- 4 Days Zhangjiajie Discovery Tour (Route A)
- 4 Day Zhangjiajie Group Tour (Manderin-Speaking Guide)
- 4 Days Zhangjiajie Classic Tour with White Water Rafting Adventure