Changsha (长沙) is the capital and most populous city of Hunan province in the south central part of China. It covers 11,819 km2 and is bordered by Yueyang and Yiyang to the north, Loudi to the west, Xiangtan and Zhuzhou to the south, Yichun and Pingxiang of Jiangxi Province to the east.
Climate of Changsha
Temperature of Changsha
In Changsha, the summers are hot, oppressive, wet, and mostly cloudy and the winters are very cold and partly cloudy. In general, the temperature range is often from 36°F to 91°F and is rarely below 29°F or above 96°F. Summer in Changsha is from June to September with a temperature range of 79-91°F, which is the hottest season in Changsha. The coldest season-winter is from December to February with a temperature of 32-49°F. Of course, the snowfalls are possible in winter. The highest recorded temperature in Changsha is 111.0°F (43.9°C), which was recorded in August. The lowest recorded temperature in Changsha is 19.0°F (-7.2°C), which was recorded in February.
Rainfall of Changsha
The average amount of rainfall in Changsha is 1,376.7mm. The month with the most rainfall is in May with the rainfall of 213.4mm. The month with the least rainfall is in December with the average rainfall of 45.7mm.
Humidity and Wind in Changsha
Generally, the humidity in Changsha makes people comfortable, especially in July. The wind in Changsha is usually calm. The windiest month is August, followed by February and July.
Best Time to Visit Changsha
Changsha is a place to visit all year round.
- Spring(April to May): Spring is a season that all comes into life. All leaves are verdan, the buds are tender, and misty landscapes are likely to show after the rain. Of course, it is the one of the best time to visit Changsha.
- Summer(June to August): Although it is hot in summer, especially in the daytime, it is the best time to visit Yuelu Mountain.
- Autumn(September to November): Autumn is a harvest season, also a tourism season. The beauty of Changsha in autumn will always make you enjoy yourselves so much as to forget to leave.
- Winter(December to March of the next year): It is the season that is possible to see the snow in Changsha.
Travel Tips for Visiting Changsha
What to Pack
- Spring: wind coat, jacket and thin sweaters.
- Summer: In order to get a comfortable trip to Changsha in summer, these things are necessary, such as T-shirt, shorts, a light coat, sunglasses, a sun hat, a pair of hiking shoes. Of course, the mosquito repellant and raincoat are your best choices.
- Autumn: wind coat, jacket and thin sweaters.
- Winter: thick coat and sweater, cotton wadded jacket.
What to Notice
1. In China, please had better not travel in peak seasons, such as Chinese New Year, International Labor Day and National Day. If you want to experience the traditional festival culture, Taking a tour during the traditional festivals of China can get the opportunity to experience the festivals culture.
2. Be careful of the changeable temperature. A few chilly days could be followed by relatively hot weather. So it is better to take some early winter clothes to protect you away from the sudden low temperature.